My Law Practice
I started my legal career working as an insurance defence lawyer. Recently, I made the switch to advising and representing plaintiffs against insurance companies. I welcomed the opportunity to join CAM LLP. The firm is well-known and highly respected in the legal and insurance communities. I now assist seriously injured people navigate the consequences of suffering a severe injury, and I advise and represent them in their personal injury claims.
My experience as an insurance defence lawyer gave me a greater understanding of how insurance companies deal with personal injury claims. This means I can help you understand the insurance company’s objectives for your claim, and I have the insight necessary to develop an effective strategy to resolve your claim. Most personal injury claims settle, but there are situations where a claim needs to be taken to trial to get a fair result. I will not hesitate to take your claim forward if that is the best way to get you a good result.
In addition to my legal training, I have a pre-law background that helps me understand the nature of your injuries and the financial impact an injury can have. I have a B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Science, and I worked as a Medical Laboratory Technologist for Alberta Health Services. During that time, I continued to attend school and received my Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) from the University of Alberta. So, I understand personal injury law, I know the science behind medical evidence, and I can accurately assess the full financial impact an injury can have on your personal finances, particularly if you are a business owner.
My practice experience has included:
- Insurance defence litigation including assessing and negotiating claim settlements
- Provincial court trials dealing with insurance coverage issues
- Applications before Provincial Court of Alberta and the Court of Queen’s Bench
How I Can Help You
The first step I take with anyone who comes to me for help is to sit down with you and carefully listen to your story and your concerns. I will then identify any problematic issues and questions, and we’ll address them together. In some cases, there may be a good chance the insurance company will try to claim that you are partly at fault for the accident that caused your injuries. Or, maybe you had a pre-existing injury. In this case, an insurance company lawyer may try to argue that your pre-existing injury is the reason for your ongoing disability. Either way, I directly tackle difficult issues and questions and work out how we are going to address them.
I will also take the time to talk to you about concerns you may have. Those concerns might be about your personal injury claim, or how you see your future unfolding after you have recovered as much as possible, given your injuries. Some people make a full recovery and can return to their normal lives, but many people have permanent disabling injuries. This can raise worries if you are the primary breadwinner in your home or have vulnerable dependents who count on you for personal and financial support. I understand all of this and can help you work out how to handle these issues.
I take the time to explain how the litigation process works so that you are confident that you understand what is happening and how your claim will unfold. My goal is to reduce your stress and anxiety about the unknown so that you can concentrate on regaining your health. I will work to handle your personal injury claim to achieve the best possible result for you and your family so that you can get on with your life.
- I was called to the Alberta Bar in 2014, I joined CAM LLP as a personal injury lawyer working for seriously injured people in 2019.
- I started my legal career working as an insurance defence litigator with CBM Lawyers here in Edmonton. After that, I moved into a position as Litigation Counsel for the Economical Mutual Insurance Company. I then made the decision to join CAM LLP.
- I have represented clients before the Provincial Court of Alberta and the Court of Queen’s Bench.
- I am experienced in negotiating personal injury settlements.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Past Chair, Board Member, current volunteer (Communications Sub-committee) – Edmonton Youth Justice Committee Society
Outside the Office
In my spare time, I enjoy playing soccer and reading. I also like exploring various neighbourhoods in Edmonton with my new puppy.