I’ve been injured and can’t work. How am I going to pay my bills?

First, don’t panic. There may be a number of different sources of lost income coverage available to you. One source is private third party disability insurance that either you or an immediate family member (like a spouse or parent) has set up. You may also have disability insurance coverage through your job.

No private insurance? Income replacement benefits are also available through your auto insurer to partially offset lost income.

Other avenues you can explore to seek income loss assistance include:

  • Employment Insurance
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability Benefits
  • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)

Do I report my injuries to my insurance company after an accident?

Yes. You need to report your injuries to your own insurance company to preserve your right to claim accident benefits.  Accident benefits, sometimes called Section B benefits, cover costs for things like treatment and rehabilitation.  There are time limits on applying for accident benefits so you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible after your accident to report that you have been injured.

I have been seriously injured, but I don’t think I can afford a lawyer. What do I do?

There is no reason why anyone in the province of Alberta should have to go without legal advice and representation if they have been injured.

Your initial consultation with us is free. It costs you nothing to talk to us about your case and get some preliminary advice on whether you have a claim that has a good chance of succeeding. If you have a case and you decide to hire us, we work on contingency, which means there is no upfront cost to you to start your personal injury claim. Further, we pay all the necessary litigation expenses to prove and advance your claim.

Our legal fee is a percentage of the award you receive and if you don’t receive compensation you do not owe us anything. In other words, we don’t get paid until you do.

When you schedule a free consultation, one of our experienced personal injury lawyers will review your case with you to assess the quality of your claim and explain how proceedings and contingency fees work. It won’t cost you a thing to get some legal advice and there is no obligation to hire us.

Should I see a doctor after my accident? What if my injuries are minor?

Yes. You should always seek medical attention as soon as possible after an injury; even if you think you are not badly hurt. Make sure you tell your doctor everything that is bothering you, even if it seems minor. With some injuries, especially soft tissue injuries, it takes time for a full set of symptoms to emerge. Follow your doctor’s treatment advice and continue to follow up for further medical treatments as recommended.

Does CAM LLP take on claims other than car accident claims?

Yes. Our lawyers have experience representing clients who have been injured in:

We have represented clients suffering from such injuries as:

When should I contact a lawyer?

You should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after you’ve seen a medical doctor and have determined the extent of your injuries. Schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer and discuss your situation to determine whether you have a claim.

If I am at fault, can I still make a claim?

The answer to this question depends on the facts in your case. Contact your own insurance company to report the accident and get advice from a personal injury lawyer to determine if you might have a claim. For example, being partially responsible for causing an accident in which you are injured does not prevent you from seeking damages against the party who was primarily responsible for the accident that caused your injuries BUT your part in causing the accident may affect the amount of compensation you are entitled to receive. This is why it’s best to contact an experience personal injury lawyer about your case.

Get a free consultation

What information do I need to obtain at the scene of an accident?

  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of the other driver(s) and any witnesses
  • Photos or recordings
  • Date, time of day, location of the accident
  • Description of weather conditions, obstacles or other road hazards
  • Insurance and registration information of all parties involved in the accident
  • Police accident report number if there is one

NOTE: Do not assume first responders will be gathering this information on your behalf.

What if a member of my family is killed in an accident?

If a member of your immediate family has been killed in an accident, a wrongful death claim may be brought under the Fatal Accidents Act against the party or parties responsible for the accident that led to the death of your family member.

Compensation may also be available through private insurance held by the deceased (personal insurance or work insurance).

Finally, in the case of a car accident, death benefits are available through the deceased’s own auto insurer under Section B of the policy.

Do I have to accept the compensation that the insurance company offers me?

No, but if you do accept the compensation offered to you then the case is considered closed. Before you take this step, it is important to understand that the insurance company is working in its own best interest and may not offer you all the compensation you are eligible to receive. Therefore, before accepting an offer of compensation from an insurance company, contact a personal injury lawyer for a free consultation to confirm that the offer is fair and reasonable given your injuries.

We are always willing to talk to you about your options regardless of the severity of your injury.

Get a free consultation